Thank You Volunteers – National Volunteer Week
National Volunteer Week is here! We want to thank and acknowledge our 4,000 volunteers for their dedicated support of our mission to end homelessness. Last year DuPagePads volunteers donated 65,000 hours, equivalent to 31 full time employees!
Your commitment and care made it possible to provide 44,284 nights of shelter and 145,501 meals last year for people who might otherwise go without safety, sustenance and support. Through your partnership in our solution to end homelessness, last year 392 individuals were able to obtain a place to call “home”.
We are grateful for your service, but we aren’t the only ones. Here are comments from our program participants:
- “Thank you for spending your time with all of us: staying up late, waking up early, providing food, shelter and often an ear. Perhaps needless to say, but I must, everything done is greatly appreciated.”
- “Thank you so much! Seeing regular faces in this time of despair reminds me that the community cares. I’m forever grateful for your unending support.”
- “Thank you for your ongoing dedication and commitment! I don’t feel alone as you are here providing me a home away from home.”
- “I’m so grateful to the volunteers. Your help enables me to have good food to eat and a warm place to sleep in my time of hardship. I hope to bring myself out of this situation, but for now, without you, my life would be unbearable. I thank you and always appreciate you.”
- “Your efforts have a substantial impact on our lives. Words cannot express the good that is accomplished for your efforts.”
We know our volunteers are outstanding and appreciate all of the care and preparation they put into serving at our overnight sites.
Check out this excellent video produced by Molly Gardner highlighting the partnership between DuPagePads and Congregation Etz Chaim to provide Interim (Overnight) Housing and meals for people who are homeless in DuPage County.
Interested in becoming a DuPagePads Volunteer?…We need your help this summer.
Our two greatest needs are:
- Individual volunteers to fill overnight shifts (such as 9:00pm-12:00am, 12:00am-3:00am and 3:00am-6:00am)
- Groups to cover full overnights at the shelter. We are seeking current volunteer groups that would like to continue through the summer, or new partners like congregations, civic groups and clubs. It is a great service opportunity.
Watch the video below to see members from The Chapel-Hinsdale explain their decision to be a part of DuPagePads solution to end homelessness.
Thank you volunteers – final quote from one of our program participants:
“I appreciate everything you have done, your dedication, kindness and service. Let me say thank you from the bottom of my heart.”