Thank YOU Volunteers! – National Volunteer Week
April 10th-16th 2016
National Volunteer Week is here! We want to thank and acknowledge our 4,000 volunteers, for their dedicated support of our mission to end homelessness. Last year DuPagePads volunteers donated 66,868 hours, equivalent to 32 full time employees!
Recognizing 30 years of service this year as an agency, our committed and caring volunteers helped make it possible to provide 688,409 nights of shelter and 2,181,012 meals for people who might otherwise go without safety, sustenance and support. Through your partnership to our solution to end homelessness, last year 348 individuals were able to obtain a place to call “home”.
We are grateful for your service, but we aren’t the only ones. Here are comments from our program participants:
- “Thank you so much for your service, your thoughtfulness, time donated and patience. We appreciate the wonderfully delicious food & your generosity.”
- “I want to thank you for the service you render to me as well as others. I know you sacrifice time away from your families to serve us. I want to extend my gratitude and sincere thanks.”
- “Thank you for your time and thoughtful preparation of food. You help make our day brighter.”
- “Thank you so much for the delicious food and a place to sleep each night as it is keeping me alive.”
- “Thank you for the kindness in your hearts and all the effort you put out.”
In this milestone year, we want to thank those that have been volunteering for more than 20 years.
Please contact us if you have a name that belongs on this list. Thank YOU for your service!
One of our 20+ year volunteers, Nanette Truppa, as she reflects on her years of service in our mission to end homelessness:
“I have been involved with DuPagePads since 1990. The folks at our church are the most amazing giving people. I consistently walk away from the privilege of serving those less fortunate, in awe and great pride to witness the countless moments in which our volunteers gave so deeply with care and love for our homeless, it’s truly inspiring.
I could write a book on incredible moments. I watched in the deep dark cold of winter a volunteer named Frank leave without his shoes (in his socks) because a guest needed shoes; a woman named Rosa that helped a very disabled woman shower without even thinking about it; a volunteer named Pam who collected new backpacks to give to our guests for Christmas.
Our group has seen wonderful faces over the past years, but there are those who have been the diehard supporters since day one, and I really appreciate you for acknowledging them.”
Interested in becoming a DuPagePads Volunteer?… We need your help this summer.
Our three greatest needs are:
- Individual volunteers to fill overnight shifts (such as 9:00 PM –12:00am, 12:00am-3:00am 3:00am – 6:00am),Click HERE to see a current list of needs
- Groups to cover full overnights at the shelter. We are seeking current volunteer groups that would like to continue through the summer, or new partners like congregations, civic groups and clubs. It is a great service opportunity.
- Volunteer at Summer Festivals – Now recruiting RibFest volunteers – Click HERE for Info.
A final quote from one of our program participants:
“I have never been homeless before and it was a little scary, but thanks to your volunteers, it made the adjustment so much easier. I appreciate each and every one of you.”